"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Disciple NOW!

We're entering an exciting weekend at our church. This is DiscipleNow, a time when small groups of middle and high school students withdraw into various homes from 7pm on Friday until 9am on Sunday. They spend time in fellowship with each other, intense Bible study and spiritual thinking and learning more about being a teenaged disciple on their school campuses. For the fifth year, I am privileged to be one of the teacher/leaders of a group. This year I have the 12th grade guys and they have more love for God and excitement about living His Way than almost any group of teenagers OR adults I have ever encountered.

Oh, they'll be plenty of typical teenage stuff....you know....no sleeping, various and sundry embarassing pranks and I'm sure some of them will involve their adult leader, however, I have no doubts that appropriateness will never come into question.

My group has five guys - Seth, Cameron, Jamey, Cade and John. The Adairs are hosting us in their home where we'll sequester in an upstairs bonus room with sleeping bags, pillows, smelly teenage feet, Bibles, prayer journals and worship. I love these fellas like they were my own kids and look forward to the next couple of days even though it will probably involve very little sleep and being totally embarrassed at playing basketball, soccer and whatever else they do in the break times.

I ask for your prayers for not only my group, but for all the groups from our church. We've got 130+ teenagers, plus leaders, home host and co-hosts. This annual DiscipleNow weekend is always a pivotal time for our students and God will continue to honor our efforts to train up this next generation.

If I survive, I'll be giving some updates and highlights next week!

Be God's-

4 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Hi Jimmy,

Just blogging by and catching up and see what is going on.

Sounds like your going to be pretty busy and that is really neat that you all will have time to fellowship together in the Lord.

You will be in my prayers.

Blessings,

Paul

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Hope it's a great time. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Keep posting. Still praying for your parents.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and I look forward to hearing the stories! It is great that you have so many young people dedicated to the Lord!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger JOE B said...

Jimmy,
I posted a little about DNow on my blog. You were mentioned only once but I think it is pretty accurate.
Joe b

 

Post a Comment

<< Home