"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Monday, March 07, 2005

The Greatest Love

I enjoy war movies, especially when they are based on true battles in real wars. I love to spend a rainy Saturday watching the old war movies, like "The Longest Day", "Stalag 17", and "Kelly's Heroes". This past weekend I watched the new version of "Pearl Harbor" which was just released a couple of years ago. It is difficult to watch these movies and not feel the emotion well up as I see the strength, the commitment and the courage of these men and women who served our country during these wars past and continue to serve even today around the world.

I was not born during World War II or Korea and was in college during Vietnam, so I have never had the opportunity to serve our country in the military. However, the fact that I was not present during military action does not mean that I cannot appreciate the sacrifices of these fine men and women. I believe in their service even though I was not present to see or experience it. I know that these people serve because of their belief in and love for our country, even to the point of giving up their lives. This attitude and commitment is what overwhelms me and makes me proud to be an American.

Do we get the same sense of pride and commitment to serve our God? When our faith comes under attack in the office or the school or the neighborhood, do we stand firm and accept whatever comes? When we see un-Christian programming on the television or movies, hear it on the radio or read it in the media, do we write the companies involved and voice our concern? Do we have the same dedication and commitment to Christ as our soldiers do for our country?

In that sense, we who are believers do serve as soldiers for our God. Not necessarily in physical battles, but in the spiritual battles here on earth. We are to be representatives of our God and always be willing to lay down our lives for His flag of Truth and Life. Without the sacrifice of Christian men and women through the years, from apostles to missionaries alike, the message of Love, Hope and Joy would not have survived for over two thousand years. I would certainly hope that if the occasion were to arise, that I would be willing to give my all for His cause.

I am proud to be an American. I am proud of those who serve our country in dangerous times and areas so that we can enjoy the benefits of freedom of speech, of religion, and all the other rights we have. These people stay in my prayers daily. I am also proud to be a Christian; a part of the army serving the same God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as the God we serve in 2005. Living safe and protected behind the walls of our homes and churches will not further His cause. Come out, join others and be willing to do whatever God asks, no matter the cost. The rewards are great.

God be with you, Kurt, you are in my prayers.

Be God's,
Jimmy







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home