"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

When the War Hits Home

" Be Strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to STAND." (Ephesians 6:10-13 NIV)

I don't recall every hearing of spiritual warfare as a young Christian. It must have just been one of those topics that preachers avoided so as to not be thought of as 'heretical' or something similar. Until I read the Frank Peretti books about the powers of darkness and the invisible battles that they wage in the world around us, I had never realized how powerful and real the angels of Satan must be. Yes, I do know these were fictional books, however, I realize how much they are based on scripture and theology.

I have had some experiences over the past year or two, and one as recent as early this morning, that makes me believe that there are forces of evil trying to reach me. I don't want to go into details right now because that just keeps reinforcing the thoughts and occurences in my head and that isn't productive, especially at night.

One good thing about this is that I don't think that Satan and his forces would be particularly interested in me unless I were doing something constructive for God. My walk with Him is close and secure and I believe and am convinced that NOTHING can separate me. However, over the past few weeks and months, I have begun to seek God's will for my life much more diligently than I have before. I have written a couple times lately that I sense the leading of God in a new direction for my life happening and try to keep my wishes and goals out of the picture and leave it totally up to His leading. In addition, I also pray for the faith to accept the possibilities of starting over in new places and doing new things. God is continuing to break me so that He can fill me. If you are a Christian and have been through periods of breaking, you know this can be a tough and difficult thing because we as humans tend to resist it. When we finally give in and let God have us in total, it is a wonderful thing.

To those of you reading this, never assume that Satan and his demons are some type of fairy tale made up by scriptural authors, Dante, Sunday School teachers and preachers. Be on guard constantly if you are trying to do what God wants you to do because that is when the attacks will begin. They start very subtle, then progress stronger and stronger until you finally give in and become a defeated Christian, bearing little if no fruit. Or, they progress until you realize what is happening and stand firm with the armor of God in place and proclaim that Jesus is Lord and through everything "we are more than Conquerors..." (Romans 8:37 NIV).

Not meaning to play the "age card", but if there is one thing I have learned in my life, it is that you cannot win the war with Satan, it can ONLY be done with the armor of God in place and your trust placed in His power and strength. I have fought skirmishes in earlier years, given in and paid the price of defeat. I have also fought battles, held strong to my faith and came through victoriously with excitement, growth and renewal of my love of God. I encourage all of you to place the phrases from the above scripture on little slips of paper that you will see during the day as I have done; on your mirror at home, on the dashboard in your car, on your desk at work or school, wherever you want. "Stand Firm". "We are more than Conquerors".

I do ask for prayers as these days unfold. Today, I am strong in the Lord; I pray that I will be strong tomorrow, the next day and forward. That is my prayer for you, my friends.

Be God's,
Jimmy

1 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger JulieB said...

I am curious where you were going with this, Jimmy. If you are up for discussing it with a Jewish stranger, come talk with me in email.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home