"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Sunday, January 23, 2005

If You Are Real, God, Be Real To Me

A friend instant messaged me this afternoon. A young man away from home for the first time and is struggling with keeping his faith alive in a new environment with new people, new influences and away from the support of his church and Christian friends.

He is a strong Christian, but as we all know, that doesn't make us immune to the attacks of Satan. He preys on our loneliness, on our isolation from our Christian friends and before long, he is filling our heads and hearts with worries, with anxieties, with influences that we could normally resist. Before you know it, you aren't spending time in prayer and the study of God's Word. You aren't spending quiet time to keep you in tune with God. You feel defeated and like a failure to God and you don't feel like you can get back to where you were. That's the point to where my friend has come. He is broken and is reaching out to God. As best as possible on instant messenger, I tried to encourage him and to promise my prayers, support and availability to him 24/7. One thing I do know and kept trying to impress on my friend was that God was still there, all he needed to do was to cry out and grab hold to His almighty and powerful hand of Love.

My heart is full of God's Love for this guy. I've been where he is and know the struggles he faces. I wish I could fix the problems and return him to the close walk he had at one time. However, I know that it's a road that we all must travel alone with just ourselves and our God. My instinct is to get in the car and drive to where he is, buy him a cup of coffee and dessert and talk through the night. But, that wouldn't help anything for him long term. He's a young man just starting out in life and, like I said, this is a road that we all travel at different times and in different ways, but it is one that we have to do alone. I have all confidence that he will find his way back to God and win this spiritual battle because I know both him and God and that they are too close for Satan to ultimately win this one.

That doesn't keep me from hurting for my friend and praying for his struggles. As the tears run down my cheeks, I pray that God will hold him close and give him protection as he recovers from his battles and demons. All I ask is that any of you that are reading this to pray for my friend. No names are necessary because God knows who he is, but he needs a lot of prayer warriors lifting him up right now.

"My friend, I am praying for you tonight. I pray that you will face the demons that Satan is sending your way and denounce them in the name of Jesus. Make yourself get back into the Word, back into regular prayer, back into fellowship with Christians. Come home and refresh yourself with those of us who care for you. Through Christ I love you and encourage you to return to the joy of your salvation. Get back in touch with the gifts you know God has given you. Most importantly, just relax into God's arms and feel His Love holding and surrounding you and his protection. Take a deep breath and inhale the power and strength that only God can give you and as you exhale feel the struggles of the world leave your spirit. Take care my friend and be strong in the Lord."

Be God's,
Jimmy

2 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the friend that you are talking about... I'm one of his friends at the school that he goes to. I thank God that he has someone like you to turn to when he is in a time of need. God has put you in his life as a way to help direct him in the path that he has for him... my prayer is that he finds that path soon.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger ~Suzii~ said...

"My friend, I am praying for you tonight. I pray that you will face the demons that Satan is sending your way and denounce them in the name of Jesus. Make yourself get back into the Word, back into regular prayer, back into fellowship with Christians. Come home and refresh yourself with those of us who care for you. Through Christ I love you and encourage you to return to the joy of your salvation. Get back in touch with the gifts you know God has given you. Most importantly, just relax into God's arms and feel His Love holding and surrounding you and his protection. Take a deep breath and inhale the power and strength that only God can give you and as you exhale feel the struggles of the world leave your spirit. Take care my friend and be strong in the Lord."

Jimmy...
I know that these words were meant for your friend at the time that you wrote them... but... they are meant for me today. I hope God blesses you beyond your imagination!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home