"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day and the Single Guy

Valentine's Day and the Single guy. Does that sound like an oxymoron to you? Or, sounds like the title to one of the old "Love American Style" shows (yeah, now THAT really shows my age). I mean, the National Day of Love, flowers and candy to your sweetie pie, all the e-card sites being slow as molasses because of the cards being sent, all the jewelry and dinners and red satiny things that I can't believe anyone would really wear at anytime of their life. I noticed at the grocery store today how many guys were buying the last of the scraggly little roses with slightly brown tinted baby's breath at 6pm on the way home because they didn't plan ahead. Almost like Christmas, the pressure to do and/or buy just the right thing seems to be almost paramount to the reason for the day.

Now, realizing as how I have not a lot of room to talk, but it seems to me that you folks should be letting your spouses or loved ones know all year long how much you love and care for them. It should not come down to just one day when you have to worry about buying the right candy or the right flowers or go to the right restaurant. Love should be a constant thing, and in all fairness to many of my friends who are married, it is obvious that they are in a love relationship with each other and with God because it shows in their lives and in their families.

Isn't it a good thing that God doesn't wait for February 14 each year to demonstrate His love toward us? Aren't we glad that He gave us the best love gift available? I am glad that in the Love relationship with God, I don't have to worry about Him leaving me for another person or worry about making Him mad and being left alone. The ultimate Valentine giver will "never leave us or forsake us." (Hebrews 13:5).

As the poster boy for the single life, I know that that the Love of God is my greatest comfort. Sure, it may not keep my feet warm at night (although Murphy does help a little), but His Love does keep my heart warm 24/7. Like the apostle Paul, I have learned to be content with the conditions of my life. In fact, I am more than content because God has given me a family, friends and a church that enriches me at every thought. And I am able to do much in ways of ministry because I am single at this time and having more time available to give.

"For God loved the world so very much, that He gave up His only Son so that whoever believes in Him will not die spiritually, but enjoy an everlasting life." (John 3:16).

This is the Valentine card that God has sent to each of us. To all of you who read this blog whom I do not know or hear from, I love you with the Love of the Lord, because God has offered His Love to all people. To those who I've met through the blogging world, thanks for stopping my way and inviting me into your world. May God continue to bless your efforts because you have blessed mine. To those in my family, my friends and in my church, I love you because without you and your love and encouragement, I would not be the man I am today (even as odd as that may be at times).

Be God's Valentine to someday else,
Jimmy

3 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Elysha said...

Amazing Love...

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger JulieB said...

Hi Jimmy,
It's nice to see someone else post on Valentine's Day. I haven't read your site before & I've only read part of your Valentine post. I have 4 cats and a dog to keep me warm! But I love the balcony scene. I think Juliet's lines are somewhat lacking... but hey.
From my brief reading it's nice to see someone else that believes in G-d. I am Jewish, and often post my unpopular sentiments about my belief in G-d. Will read a bit more of your site, and maybe see you around again.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Interesting point. As a married man of 14 years it seems to me that V day is for "in-love" singles. I remember my first V day being married, I bought my wife a bracelet and she got me a snicker bar!!!!! Needless to say, we don't celebrate V day. And to your point, its because we love each other and show it every day!

God Bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home