"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, May 26, 2006

I Don't Know Nothing About Birthin'



I've heard it oft said that writing a book is akin to giving birth. Now, being a male, that analogy has no point of reference to me, but I somehow doubt the total accuracy. I can say, however, this book of mine must be in a breech position and trying to come out with arms and legs extended fully outstretched while still attached to some spring device inside so that the 'baby' only teases me with birth before it pops back inside only to begin again.

Are you getting the picture? Those of you who have been through this process can identify clearly, I'm sure. The end is within sight, the copyrights are all received, the cover design is set, the sections are divided,but the final decision as to what is to be included in the sections is driving me nutso. Would it work better there or here? Should I add a sentence, change a metaphor, use better grammar? Take it out entirely? Will anyone understand anything I'm trying to say? Oh shucks, I might as well just forget the whole thing and get back to blogging on a more regular basis.

Then I take some time away from the project to get my perspective back. Why do I write? Besides the therapeutic value, I write because God tells me to do it. He has given me some type of ability to see a lesson that I need to learn in the oddest situations (remember the one about stuffing Murphy in the mailbox?). As a single Christian guy, he has given me a perspective on life that a married person cannot see or understand. The challenges and pressures of dating, the stress of raising children alone, the wonderful alone time you may have, watching what YOU want to watch on TV and listen to the CDs that YOU want to listen to at full volume.....these are things with which only a single adult can identify. My current hero is a guy in my Bible study class who rides a motorcyle and has a flat plasma screen tv that he wants to install (with cable) in his bathroom! What more could a single guy ask for?

I write because on occasion the words I share hit a chord with someone and may encourage them to keep going another day. I write because I believe that God is in control of my life even on the suckiest days (pardon me, but you know you have those days). I write because my friends and family do such bizarre things that it just has to come out on paper or screen.

Mostly, I write because it is a method by which I can serve God. Music has always been my primary gift and passion. Sitting at the keyboard with our praise band and vocalists can bring a time of personal worship like nothing else. In recent years, I have discovered the passion I have for writing. A passion which only God could give.

So, I say all this above to let you know that I have not disappeared or had some type of faith crisis. They always say that your first child is the most difficult and it is proving to be true in my case. I am loving and learning from this process and I ask for your continued prayers and support over the next couple of weeks as I finish.

My other promise is that I will be more faithful to my blog. There have been so many things that I want to share that I need to get them out. I still need to tell the story about my 12th grade guys at Disciple Now crashing the birthday party of some unknown girl next door and ending up dedicated their karaoke music to me (and the whole south side of Atlanta).

So for now my friends, and for time to come....this has been the gospel according to Jimmy.

4 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy! I am so proud of you!

In your storytelling, let your heart be your guide. Write as you would speak, use your "Southerness" in your expressions- it will make it all the more entertaining and interesting- and personal. After all, the most famous Southen writers- from Faulkner to Ronda Rich let their roots shine thru.

I will look forward to the finished product!

~Christine H

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy, as Mr. Miagi (sp?) might say, "Patience, grasshopppa. Patience." After your book gets published and hits the best-seller list--don't dream small, think big, baby!--you'll look back at this time of trepidation and doubt thinking the effort you put into worrying was wasted. I know you'll be glad to be done, and all of us will be proud of and for you!

BTW, that motorcycling guy that wants a flat panel TV in the bathroom sounds like a heck of a cool dude to me. LOL

Cheers to us single folks!

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy, I relate to the birthing process really well, so hey, I'll pray for you, friend. Writing books is hard, I don't care what people think. Just promise to pray for me when I start mine, k?

Good to hear from you!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said...

good to see you back! I enjoy reading your blog so I know that a book would be great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home