"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, September 23, 2005

I Choose to be a Liver

Non-Alcoholic SteatoHepatitis........NASH for short. That is the liver disease I was diagnosed with about a year and a half ago. It is where (for whatever reason), my liver does not process the fats out of the liver and into my system properly so they stay and cause the liver to enlarge (mine as of last week was three inches enlarged), various enzymes to get out of whack (mine were elevated somewhat from my last visit) plus all manner of other symptoms. Some of the symptoms I experience regularly is itching with no rash (especially on my arms and neck), some random times of almost debilitating fatigue and mild pain in that right quadrant of my abdomen. There is no cure as such, but in the early stages of NASH, you can reverse the damage and symptoms by losing weight, sticking to a fairly strict diet and the infamous "E" word.....exercise.

If the disease progresses, it can and will lead to cirrhosis, eventually liver failure and, if no transplant, then death. Serious ending...not how I want it to be. It's the kind of thing that wakes you up at 3:00 in the morning and causes your mind to spin out of control. Yeah, we're talking mongo anxiety attacks.

So, as of my writing tonight, I am choosing to be a liver (no, you silly people....not the internal organ), but a Liver. A participant in Life. Someone who makes the conscious choice to do his best to live for many many years to come if it is God's Will. This means I will eat what I know is correct, I will lose weight and (if I have to), I'll even be more diligent about (gulp) exercise.

So, that's the deal. I figure that by writing all this out and announcing it to the world that I am putting the accountability factor out there. I hereby give any and all of you the right to demand an accounting of my progress (well, JoeB knows about that lemon pie he didn't stop me from eating tonight) and support and encourage me on my quest to become a Liver.

So for tonight my friends, this is the gospel according to Jimmy

6 Comments:

At 2:30 AM, Blogger ~Suzii~ said...

Of course it is God's will for you to live for many many years to come! Satan is the only one who would love to see ya kick the bucket early... don't give him the satisfaciton! (I'm not!) I love that you have chosen to be a "liver"!... (funny... by the way)

I was excited to see someone new commenting on my blog... rather curious as to the "long time lurker"... you seem to have a great way of putting things, good sense of humor. Thank you for being a lurker to my blog. Hope I don't scare you away!

By the way... I love your blog. "Being God's" is awesome.
((I hope you know, I will probably add you to my treasure chest now))

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jimmy, I've got your back. I definitely know how the whole diet/exercise thing is... if I don't eat what I'm supposed to (or rather, not eat what I'm not supposed to) then I have a huge stomach ache among other problems associated with this stupid disease. So... we'll get onto each other for eating bad things. Especially lemon pie. :-)

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Wow, I certainly know what you mean by debilitating fatigue! But let's covenant together to take care of our temples, the best we can, anyway! I want to be a LIVER, too....lol....you got me on that one. Oh, btw, I bought a Gazelle for gentle exercise. It's great, although there are still days that I can't do it. $99 at Walmart and worth every penny. I just glide and watch the news!

Your blog has evolved into such a beautiful place for all of us. I still marvel at Darlene's ability to capture our 'theme.'

Take care and thanks for visiting me!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger JOE B said...

LET YOU! LET YOU? LET YOU!?!?! You tricked me. I had planned to get a cheese cake but you made some snide comment, so I decided to get a refill on my DIET lemonade and I thought you where going to do the same. You got your refill and then some. LET YOU, how could you say such a thing?

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this blog.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger ~Suzii~ said...

I finally got back online... and was hoping to enjoy more of your writing! I got ya added to my links...(was going to do that right before I went offline but never got the chance)... now I don't have to find ya by looking in my comments all the time now! Be blessed and looking forward to your next post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home