"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, August 12, 2005

A Time to Eat Chips, A Time to Eat Carrots


Now, I don't mean to give you the impression that I am anywhere near the size of this whale, but I certainly have several extra pounds on my body. Most children at the malls are polite enough to not stare and point, however, there are those few who gawk like they are seeing a circus freak show contestant. So far, my footsteps haven't registered high enough on the Richter scale to cause wholesale damage to the North Georgia faultlines, but I know it is just a matter of time. And even worse, as a boy I had to wear the dreaded "husky" sizes from Sears. Don't manufacturers know how scarred young boys can become when they are labelled as "husky"?

Most of my friends probably don't realize that I'm overweight, but that's mainly because I haven't worn my shirts tucked in for, say, four years or so. I tried to count up the amount of pounds which I have gained and lost over the past 10 years and I've exceeded the weight of most teenage children. So, the time has come to do something. Something drastic and serious. Big.

I'm putting myself on a weight-loss and exercise program and you folks are going to be my accountability group. Each Friday, I'll report back to you how much weight I have lost (and I promise to be honest) and as I move down sizes in clothes. Today, Friday the 12th of August, I weighed in at 220 pounds and I'm 5'11" tall. My goal is to lose 40 - 45 pounds which will put me at my best place and where I want to be. Ideally, I'd like for at least four of my chins to be gone by the same time (just kidding on that one....sorta).

Just because I need to throw some theological point in here, I honestly believe that as a temple of God, my body should be kept in better condition. I don't drink, smoke or take drugs...and I am relatively careful about my diet, but if I am to be a good steward of the body and life God has given me, I need to get serious about it. In Romans 12:1, Paul urges us to "submit our bodies as a holy, acceptable and living sacrifice to God"; and at the current moment, my only offering as a sacrifice would be something that is rotated slowly on a spit over a fire.

So, here goes everyone. A new beginning for me. A new beginning for what I can offer to God.

And for today, this is the gospel according the Jimmy


5 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

Jimmy,

I understand, trust me I do. I have some to lose to. I know how to lose, but I always gain it back. At 5'11" 220 doesn't sound that big for a guy.

Good luck to you, I'll be praying for success for both of us!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger jomo said...

I'm praying for you, man. I know what it is to fight this fight. I recently lost 51 lbs. so I feel so much better.
220 doesn't sound bad for 5'11".
You can do it. I was 5'9" and 260; now I'm down to 209. He will show you the way.
Keep the faith.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Jimmy,

I am also trying to better my body... I am trying to wake up early and do pilates everyday during the week. For the last three weeks I have done 4, 4 and 3 respectively. Which isn't my goal, but it is better than I have done in the past.

I know you will be able to reach your goal, you are motivated and you have set your mind to it.

I will pray for your success and strength to continue in your journey.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Jimmy said...

Thanks for the encouragement, WW, John and Nancy. I was doing pretty good until the "after Sunday night church crowd" decided to go mexican last night, and those satanic burritos smothered with grilled onions and white cheese sauce just jumped on my plate. 8:(
Jimmy

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger shannon said...

We're proud of you, Jimmy (although I have to agree with everyone else ... 220 doesn't sound bad for your height). As I type this, my husband is biking down the trail, trying to get himself in shape. I should be out there with him, but I have an editing deadline staring at me. Your post inspired me, though. I've got to start taking better care of my body.

I'll be back to check on you! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home