"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

No, I Do Not Dye My Hair!!

This is my Mother. This is my Mother with a goat. Does the fact that my mother had her picture taken with a goat surprise me? Not a bit. You just have to know my mother. I guess the only thing surprising is that there is only a goat and not a goat, a giraffe and a pig. Again, you just have to know my mother. Now, before you say anything I need to warn you that I am a mama's boy. And there is one thing you do not do around a mama's boy and that is.....to talk about his mama. My mother is probably one of my best friends as well as my mother. She helped raise me in the Lord and encouraged my love for music so that now I have made one album and play keyboard for one of the larger churches in metropolitan Atlanta. She has been my comfort in dark days and the first to call when things are going great. To put it simply, my mother is a woman of God. There is a verse in Proverbs which puts it plain and simple.

"Gray hair is a crown of Glory; it is gained by living a righteous life." (Proverbs 16:31 NLT)

Thinking back over my life, most of what I have learned has come from people with gray hair; those who have lived a life for more years than I and have learned how to walk closely with God. They have been my encouragers, my supporters, my prayer warriors, and (when necessary) my rear-end kickers. So many times, our society and churches tend to overlook the value of the gray-haired people and, even sadder, often they overlook their own value, too. You have heard it said, "I've been doing that for years, it's time for somebody younger to do it." "Oh, honey, I'm just too old to keep the nursery or preschoolers now." "My goodness, those children don't want an old person like me teaching them. Get somebody younger who they will like."

Hogwash!! The last I knew, God did not give out pink slips or early retirement options. Children, teenagers and adults NEED to have older people around to help guide and mentor them. Who else can help you through the difficulties of marriage when it is going sour? Who else can encourage you through the traumas of raising children either with or without a spouse? Who else understands the loss of a spouse to death? The gray-headed people can, that's who. They've lived it. They know that God can bring you through world wars, through depressions (both financial and emotional), through rocky relationships, through the days when you want to toss your children out the back window and through days when your faith is low and your world is dark. They know and they can help.

My hair is turning gray. Usually it is cut short so that the gray mixed in with the brown is more visible, but as it grows out the darker hair begins to cover the gray. There are a couple teenagers at church who will start teasing/harrassing/annoying me with hollering across the most crowded restaurants - "Look! Mr. Jimmy is dying his hair again! Where'd all that gray hair go? C'mon, Mr. Jimmy, admit it!". Of course, the more I protest and deny, the louder they get (all in fun and love I keep telling myself).

But, I do not dye my hair. I am proud to be turning into a gray-head, because it means that I have been through life experiences and God is weaving me a crown of glory. As I have written before, I am proud to be one of the adults that the teenagers come to when they have problems or concerns and need some advice. They know they can trust me to be straight with them and keep their confidences. They know I'll be honest with them, even when they don't like the honesty. And the cool thing is that they come to this gray-head on their own.

So, I do not dye my hair and never will. I am proud to be a Gray-Head for God. In fact, maybe I'll do T-shirts and ballcaps.....and those little tote bags you hang on your walkers and wheelchairs.... and a whole line of shuffleboard and bocci ball equipment....and probably some rollerblades just for good measure 8-).

And so for today my friends, this is the gospel according to Jimmy.

Be God's!

10 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jan Price said...

Go for it, Mr. Jimmy! There's a lot to be said for us gray-headed folks. After all, who else can those without gray hair come to when they've lost their way or they've found the wrong one? We've had lots of practice at losing and finding things - our glasses, our keys, our Word documents at deadline. Keep setting a good example for the younger generation - as well as for our own. Jan

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Jimmy,

A man with gray hair is considered distinquished, not the same for a woman.

I have several gray hairs that I tried to cover, but when I had my hair highlighted, every single gray hair was not among any of the ones highlighted.

After reading that verse from Proverbs, maybe God wanted me to show my emerging crown... tiara if you will! (too young to be a queen just yet)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

P.S. I would NEVER diss your Mamma. She looks lovely!

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

I've got 'grey highlights' but not much more than that. Most of my hair is still good old brown.

Of course having your hair turn grey may be considered a better option than losing your hair. :)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

Believe it or not, I have a picture of my mom and a goat! It's a baby goat and she's holding it.

Gotta love these women!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger steve said...

i have glorious hair...

just kidding

Have a blessed day

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Hillary said...

You're so right! I really admire "grey-heads" as you call them! :P There is so much we can learn from them. It's too bad they often don't get the respect the deserve in our society.

There was a sermon at my church a while ago based around the verse "it is not god for man (or woman!) to be alone," and thank GOODNESS it was NOT a sermon about marriage. The speaker walked about how we need three kinds of people in our life:

* mentors: someone older than us who can teach us, encourage us, and kick us in the pants! ;) That is, someone who will invest in us
* peers: this one's a given!
* mentees: someone younger who WE take the time to invest in. (this third category is often overlooked!)

It looks like you have all three of those in your life - good for you!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Ginger said...

I grew up in Chinese culture, where they revere people with grey hair. Grey hair is an indication of great wisdom and status.

When I was about 32, my students were out at recess one day, and stopping by the restroom I happened to look in there mirror. I spotted a grey hair.

Hurrah! I ran into the school office and showed it to the secretary.

"Where?!" she demanded. I leaned over to provide her a better view.

"TWINK!" and it was suddenly gone.

Argh! I don't think she ever did figure out exactly why I was so dismayed.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger shannon said...

Ha! Ginger made me laugh. :)

Good post, Jimmy. I love that you said most of what you've learned has come from those with gray hair. We really do need to teach those coming after us to honor and respect the elderly. (And not just because we'll one day BE the elderly.)

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Hey Jimmy! Well, I'm all for gray hair and appreciate the wisdom, but me and Miss Clairol have been such good friends these past few years, I hate to say goodbye...LOL....

Nice post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home