"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Fireworks, Filet , Batman and a Chicken Caesar Salad


Sundays are tough days. I play keyboards at a couple services in the morning and teach a Bible Study group between the two. During the academic year, we throw Orchestra rehearsal, Youth Choir rehearsal and an evening service into the mix and it makes for a full day....even longer than I work at my 'real' job. I tend to get frustrated many times because in the midst of all the hustle and bustle, the personal worship just isn't there. It all becomes strictly a job and responsibilities that I just have to do. Today was such a day.

To be honest, my attitude wasn't the best going into this morning. You all know I've been worried about Murphy, plus a member of my family is going through a difficult period and there are some potential changes in my job situation. That's the point at which I found myself this weekend.

But, God is good. He knew where I was and met me at the point of my need. Because of the holiday weekend, we had no afternoon or evening activities at church, so I had some time to spend with friends in a good relaxing time of Christian fellowship and lots of laughter. Fireworks in a neighboring community last night brought a group of us together to eat and watch, even though we did more talking and laughing than watching. Today I had lunch with two friends with whom it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to leave without having your spirits lifted. Out of the blue, a couple other guys and I decided to go see the new "Batman Begins" movie this afternoon, and then I had dinner with a good friend tonight that has no expectations of me except that of friendship. It was a calm and relaxing "adult" time.

As I headed back to my home this evening, my mind was clearer than it has been for quite some time and I was able to begin putting things back into perspective. I was able to make some decisions about Murphy and to actually turn over my job possibilities over to God and to (honestly) leave it to Him. God knows and loves Murphy just as I do and will be in charge of his illness and treatment (thank you Jan for your most encouraging email which led me to this), God is also aware of my family situation and His Will will be done, and my job situation is in God's hands, also. That's the promise made in Jeremiah 29:11. If I will just trust Him, then I know in my heart that whatever happens is His desire for my life. In all honesty, and I realize that folks without the presence of God in their lives cannot understand this, God has never failed me. In the words of Annie Herring:

"Why should I worry,

Why should I fret,
Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
who ain't through with me yet!"

So, a weekend which started with an extremely anxious mind and heart comes to a close with the peace that passes all understanding....the peace that only comes from the knowledge that God has me in His plans and will work things together for my good.

"Thank you, Father, for my quirky, odd and bizarre friends who are a constant source of encouragement and strength to me and to each other. And the neat thing is that they really rarely realize it, they are just being themselves as You created them."

And for today my friends, this has been a most honest and transparent gospel according to Jimmy...who will sleep quite well tonight.

Be God's!

6 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Jackie Bolen said...

Have you thought about not being so "busy" on Sundays? Sometimes I think God would rather we just come worship Him and love Him and love the world around us than be forever frantically doing "stuff" for Him.

Just a thought...something I'm working through right now and finding a lot of freedom in.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Jan Price said...

Jimmy,

I'm glad you've been able to relax this weekend and put things into God's most capable hands. You know Buddy considers Murphy his friend and if he likes Murphy, he likes Mr. Jimmy too. Buddy is still looking forward to teaching Murphy proper bedmaking techniques, so he wants both of you to rest and recuperate. :-)

Jan

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Jimmy said...

Thanks JustWandering and Jan, I appreciate your comments and prayers. It may be only in 'my theology', but I don't think God gives us gifts and abilities so that we will only wear ourselves out using them. He gives them so that we can enhance worship for others and for ourself. It's a delicate balance which I am working on trying to find. Thanks again.
Jimmy

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jimmy said...

Thanks a lot, Graham. Your comments mean more than you'd possible know. I have always believed that one's spiritual walk should be a personal thing and to just keep it simple and calm. I don't make it some heavy duty and difficult thing that God never intended. To me, it's just all about that God loves us and wants us to share it with others.....
Keep visiting and thanks again,
Jimmy

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Jim said...

There's a fine line between service and resentment. I believe we should use all our talents to serve, but I believe God expects a 'reasonable' service from us. I don't think he wishes us to beat ourselves down in the process. We all need 'down time' or time to rest. But.. still. those who are given much are expected to give much back.. right? Glad you got some perspective. Loved the prayer for your friends. :)

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you might enjoy this:
http://pivotpoint.blogzy.com/pg/InterviewWithGod.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home