"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Things You Never Knew About Me

I must be quite the shallow person because I have realized that I am 51 years old and still not famous. Really, outside of you and a few others, who knows who I am? By this point in my life, I had always envisioned that I would have become either a world renowned musician or author (something in the creative arts, at least)...I would have been on Oprah numerous times, interviewed by Diane Sawyer and made to cry by Barbara Walters. The ladies on "The View" would have made me their favorite returning guest and People Magazine would have me on as many covers as Princess Diana. I would have my favorite cause to benefit a foreign country and silicone bracelets with my name on them. However, I have not achieved any of the above.

So, I decided I would share some things that most folks do not know about me so that I may begin to appear more than just some odd guy who goes to work, home, church, home and out to eat at a fast food restaurant for a big evening. So, here goes and enjoy the reading. A test will be given at a later point, so pay attention.

1. I smoked Tareyton cigarettes during most of my college years (then quit).
2. Johnny Mathis is one of my favorite artists.
3. I cried at the original "Brian's Song". I mean, the big sobs that come from the toes.
4. I also tear up when I hear the theme from "Brian's Song".
5. When I laugh, I snort.
6. I enjoy singing and dancing with Broadway show tunes....and I am not gay.
7. I have a tattoo
8. I have two tattoos.
9. I know that tattoos is not spelled with an 'e'.
10. My favorite 'pity party' food is homemade meatloaf, real mashed potatoes (not from flakes), and green peas with mushrooms and pimentoes and, of course, lots of sweet iced tea.
11. I am a reality show junkie..even the really stupid ones.
12. I have friends I want to call and report to Nanny Deb
13. I also have friends who need a visit to the "What Not To Wear" show.
14. From Kindergarten through my senior year in High School, I never received a Satisfactory in conduct.....always Needs Improvement.
15. I kissed my first girlfriend in fourth grade. Her name was Sherren.
16. In college, my best friends fixed me up on a blind date.....she was really blind....and they took us to the movies.....and I had to explain what was happening all the way through "Poseidon Adventure".
17. I once wore long blue eyelashes and a curly blue wig into a men's prison.
18. I was almost married to an inmate named Big Mitch until the guards intervened.
19. I was there in clown costume and full makeup for a worship service.
20. I could live on gummy bears, jellybeans and Three Musketeer bars.
21. I have worn panty hose on a few occasions.
22. After the Hardy Boys, my favorite childhood book series was the Freddy the Pig books.
23. I recorded my first album in 1981.
24. I recorded my last album at the same time.
25. I have always wanted to live in New York CIty.
26. I ignored the warnings at Yellowstone once and was charged by a buffalo.
27, He didn't ram the car, but did stare in the window and snort 'stuff' on the car.
28. I think I wet my pants that day.
29. I once hid in the trunk with a buddy so we could get cheaper rates at a motel with two other friends.
30.I have thrown my sock hat up in the air at Times Square like Mary Tyler Moore did on her television show.

However, there is one thing that is important for you to know. I am a Christian, I love God with all my heart and I want to live my life to share that Love and Message with those around me.

Oh, and if any of you know Oprah or Barbara, please forward this along.....who knows where it could lead.

Jimmy

5 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Dear Jimmy,
at 51, it is not late to achieve all the notable goals you mentioned. In fact, it is possible to do so within three years from today.
1. I can make you write a best seller.
Best Sellers are easy to achieve. A best selling novel, diary, CD,etc.
2. You can be on Oprah, just by writing her a love letter with a video recording of yourself at home or at work and what makes you so special. Then, send it to her.
3. You can live in New York.

First, compile all the titbits of your posts on this blog or other blogs, from your diaries and other notes and send them to me if you want to publish your story. The Blind Date is a good opener and climax on the relationship with Big Mitch?

Your life is a best seller!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger JOE B said...

Mmmmmm, jellybeans.
Jimmy, I am a little upset, you never told me about Mitch. Don't worry, I will never dog you about that one.
Joe

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Jimmy,

You may not be known to the world, but it sounds like you have lived.

I know that you will find this hard to believe.... but I have never been on Oprah either and I am not world reknowned. It's okay, you can sit if you need to, shock will do that to you!

I think that all of the young adult lives that you have touched would beg to differ on your fame.

I have emailed Oprah twice trying to get Shannon on her show, I can start trying for you as well... let me know.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

One thing I know about you is that you write great posts but not often enough. Glad there was one here today when I checked, it was a real goodie.

We need to talk about tattoos, I have one. Okay two.

Maybe since both of our moms like goats we were meant for each other, ya think.

Let me know.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger . said...

I've always wanted to do the thing with the hat. I'm just worried I'll lose my hat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home