"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Monday, December 19, 2011

Advent Day Twenty-three, Monday, December 19

“The wise men fell on their faces and gave Him worship. Then they opened their treasures and offered Him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.” (Matthew 2:11)

There are two things in this verse that are important to me. One, is that the first thing the wise men did was to fall on their faces (showing truest humility and submission) and gave Him worship. They recognized this little boy, Yeshua, as a great man and one who would do great things. Second, after they gave worship, the men offered gifts. First….acknowledge Jesus as Saviour and Messiah with your worship, then offer Him your gifts.

Now comes the big question that I’ve heard all my life. “I don’t have any gifts to give.” “I’m not a preacher or teacher and I’m tone deaf.” “I don’t have any money.” “I can’t go to another country and tell people, I’m afraid and can’t afford it.” This question always aggravates me because people tend to over-analyze it and just don’t catch on to the biggest gift you can give. The gift that we all have and can give Jesus. It’s your heart. Your life. Your obedience. Your worship. Your love. Your testimony.

In the words to my favorite Christmas song that is very rarely sung – “What can I give Him, poor as I am. If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb. If I were a wiseman, I would do my part. But, what can I bring Him? Bring Him my heart!”

I’m a blessed man. God has given me a gift for music that I have always tried to use for His glory and His church. Except for a few rare times when I tried to accept the praise of people and let it go to my head, music has always blessed me. Playing, singing and listening. On many occasions, music touches my heart more than the spoken word…..but, that’s me. God has also given me a gift for writing and has allowed me to use it on many levels. From sharing my walk with God in newspapers, magazines, books, internet blogs and speaking engagements, I feel that God has used my peculiar view of life to encourage other people. I’ve been told that things I write are good because I can be so transparent and honest about my thoughts and stuff. Well, that may be true, but my life is God’s and I only share what I am learning as I travel each day for Him. There are good days and bad days; just like you. I stumble. And fall. All over the place. All the time. I just share them so that you may know you aren’t alone in your journey.

I encourage you to offer the gift of your heart anew to Jesus as we head into our last week of Advent, of our preparation for Jesus’ birth. Blessed be the Name of the Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home