"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Monday, July 13, 2009

The Fish with no face


Once upon a time there was a fish. A happy fish doing what fish do…swimming along minding her own business until one day another fish decided she didn’t like the happy fish and swooped down upon her and ate half her face off. Now, I would think that there should be some median point between not liking the happy fish and biting her face half off, however, such are the ways of fish world. Sad to say, this is a true story and even sadder to say, the happy fish (probably no longer quite so happy) continued to live for a period of time with only half a face. I can only imagine how she managed to avoid the little castles, bridges, and other toys with only one eye.
Now before you think this is another one of my “fish tales,” let me assure you that the fish belonged to a friend of mine and I have a picture that I might have to submit as a Times Pet of the Week for your viewing belief.
Once upon a time there was a person. A rather happy person doing what people do…working at their jobs, taking care of a family, yard work, community activities, volunteering, etc. They thought they were minding their own business; however, one day the happy person ticked someone off at work. It may have been an innocent comment made in jest or it may have been a suggestion on how to do their job better. Of course, it could have been a snarky remark about how someone looked or what they had done wrong. Without thinking, the other person lashed out in anger or self-defense and (figuratively) chewed the happy person’s face off.
No longer was the man a happy man. He was wounded, confused, disoriented, and left open for more attacks. Eventually the happy man became a bitter man and began to wound others around him, even his closest family and friends.
We have all been the recipient of an unprovoked attack upon our person. It could be because of our appearance, our beliefs, our work ethics, our politics, or because of how we live. In all honesty, we have probably been on the giving end of some of these same words and attacks at times without realizing the damage we can do.
All scriptures or holy writings instruct in various words the same truth... “Be kind to each other,” “treat others as you want to be treated,” “watch your tongue and actions that they do no harm.” As a Christian, I have certainly done my share of hurtful words and actions; never quite as severe as biting someone’s face off, but just as serious in other ways. Was my image as a believer in God harmed? Sure, it was. Did it do long lasting harm to my witness? I’m sure it did. How did I behave when someone attacked me? Not so great, I admit. Having yourself wounded by another can provoke a retaliation that can also do harm.
I think we all need to calm down and be more tolerant of others. If we use the old adage of counting to ten (or to a hundred) many times we can give advice or suggestions without chewing someone apart. It will probably save a friendship or a working relationship. Just calm down, take a deep breath, and ask yourself, “is this how I would want to be treated” before speaking. James told us in his letter to, “be quick to hear, slow to speak and be slow to anger.” I’m working on this in my daily life….how about you?
And for today my friends, this has been the gospel according to Jimmy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home