"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Summing it up, so I can move on

Basically 2008 sucked in my world. I lost a passion for creating music for worship that had been a gift all my life because I let man, not God, get in the way; I wandered from my walk with God (same reason); I had a fair amount of health concerns; I realized that the stress of my job was close to killing me (after I landed in the hospital for a couple days); and so, I quit and began 2009 unemployed.
Ya know, despite all the junk from last year, I am coming closer to God now than ever before. I may have wandered for a season, however, He never did. I found my way back in a small Methodist church where I visited over the summer and have returned a few times since for a renewal.
Now...my desire to serve again through music is back and I am searching for God's place and I have opportunities for employment that will give me time for writing and more blogging and perhaps other pursuits of ministry. As a Minister and as a Deacon, I have realized that even though I am human, God called me to special service and I cannot ignore this.
The simple truth that I have remembered is that God loves me.....hangups, attitudes, and all. He loves me as I am. He 'knows the plans He has for me," (Jer. 29:11) and I don't have to worry about them any longer. I taught my Bible Study class last week and recalled the joy of leading in discussions of God's Word and of His plans for us.
I miss working closely with the students at church, being their friend, their punching bag (in love, of course), their discipler, their confidant, and their leader and favorite chaperone. Perhaps the time for this is past and it is time to move forward to another chapter. Who knows...but, I don't have to worry about it.
I am looking forward to 2009 and what God has in store for me and those around me. I no longer worry about where I will serve Him; Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, whatever....I just know that with His leading and power I will serve Him this coming year in new and exciting ways. I owe no allegiances to mankind or their institutions, I only owe God my worship, my praise, and the use of the talents and gifts He has given me and for which I will be held accountable.
So, folks...I'll be more faithful in my blogging and get back to my somewhat odd way of looking at how God works in my life. For those who remember the tramp guppy from a couple years ago....well, she is still alive and popping out the babies. I'm sure there is a spiritual truth somewhere in there, so keep tuned.

And so for today my friends, this has been the gospel according to Jimmy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home