"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

In the Sanctuary of my SUV

Hey boys and girls.
Quiz time. What would you say is one of the most common challenges facing Christian single adults? Not enough money to do what we want or need? Boredom? Not enough time in the day? Frustration raising children alone? Discouragement in not having a spouse? Tired of the same food groups of takeout, microwave and frozen? All of the above?

I'm certainly no expert on the matter (well, as a (cough)-something year old single guy, perhaps I am), but I seem to deal with the ongoing struggle to keep Christ first in my life. The lips might proclaim, "yes, yes” but the heart is saying "yeah, right...maybe tomorrow". Our jobs, family issues, reality television fixations and my quest for the perfect cup of coffee seem to take precedence over everything else. However, of one thing in life I am sure..... I do know that if we have Christ as the center of our hearts and of our homes and families that all the stuff in the first paragraph will take care of itself. Actually, the food part may stay, but that's okay because you still get to have your french fries and other comfort food.

The daily struggles don't disappear like we might want, but the burdens do lessen if you are walking through them with Christ and with the fellowship of other believers. The things that seem so important and so critical at times may pale in comparison to the importance of realizing the power of Christ in YOUR life and in YOUR heart.

You've heard me talk before about how important music is to me in my personal worship times. Last night on the way to church and then again this morning as I drove to work,
I put in one of my favorite Worship CDs. It has a lot of familiar praise and worship songs, but the Lord put just the right song on the play list. I had church on the way to work.....!

*************************************
"All I once held dear, built my life upon,
All this world reveres and wars to own;
All I once thought gain I have counted loss,
Spent and worthless now compared to this.

Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You
There is no greater thing.
You're my all, You're the best,
You're my joy, my righteousness,
And I love you Lord.

Now my heart's desire is to know You more,
To be found in You and known as Yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh to know the power of Your risen life,
And to know You in Your sufferings;
To become like You in Your death, my Lord,
So with You to live and never die.

Knowing You, Jesus, knowing You
There is no greater thing.
You're my all, You're the best,
You're my joy, my righteousness,
And I love you Lord."

*****************************

Friends...let me urge you today and everyday to take time to Know Jesus. Know the power of His Love for you and your daily struggles. He has been there. He lived for thirty three years as a single adult and He was fully human and faced so many of the same struggles which we do. Know Jesus in your heart, your life and continue knowing more and more about Him as the days go by. I PROMISE YOU that the burdens will not disappear, but they will be lightened and your walk will be straighter and more joyous.

And so for today my friends, this is the gospel according to Jimmy.


Be God's!

4 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Bar L. said...

AWESOME POST! Thank you for the reminder, I need it as often as possible.

Thank you sooooooooooo much. I am going to go listen to a praise and worship CD and rest in HIM (before I make dinner).

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is inspiring, uplifting and encouraging. Thanks for being God's and sharing Him with so many others!

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger shannon said...

Jimmy, you're doing a good job of clinging to Jesus. I can tell just by your posts. We all struggle, but I see a persistence and a tenacity in you that will get you over the hurdles. Be encouraged!

By the way, I LOVE Matthew Ward. "My Redeemer" is one of my favorite worship CDs and that particular song always makes me stop and close my eyes. So powerful.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Hi Jimmy,

Occasionally I wonder if I'm really messing up my life. Then I come here and get encouraged in the Lord all over again.

You're such a neat guy with a genuine heart for the Lord. Thanks for blessing me with your awesome message this evening.

{{{hugs}}
Vicki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home