"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Friday, December 31, 2004

Busyness Does Not Equal Godliness

New Year's Eve......Looking back, looking forward.....A time to start anew....blah, blah, blah. Not being one to make resolutions in the past, I don't feel the inclination to do so tonight. Actually, I'm having a great New Year's Eve, sitting at home with just Murphy (my terrier) as company, washing clothes and enjoying the solitude of the house and the calming of my spirit as I instinctively look back at 2004.

Why do so many people (or at least I do) wear themselves out trying to be "all things to all people". We serve in so many areas at our churches, we have secular jobs to do which pay the bills most of the time, some folks have families and/or children to raise, in my case I am working on a graduate degree which takes up more time, and on and on and on. I hate to tell someone 'no' because I feel like I'm letting God down somehow to not be that "all things" person. Do I think that they will not like me any more because I say "Sorry, I can't do that" or that God will revoke my spiritual gifts license because I want to spend a night at home instead of being out and about? So, I will put on my 'all things to all people" t-shirt and gallop off on my spiritual high horse to keep everyone happy and joyful.

Is it only me? Are there others of you out there that have the "All Things" club T-shirt and membership ring? As for me, I am realizing that I can't be all things to all people if I have neglected my self and my own time with God. I have to grow in order to help others to grow. Sounds easy in theory, but it's quite tough to put into practice.

As I started out saying, I am not one to make resolutions, but I do try to make lifestyle changes. This year, I am going to try to please God by doing what He wants me to do and by being what He wants me to be. Same thing I said this time last year, and I did make some progress, but I will do more in the coming year. There are other avenues and paths for me to explore in His plan for my life and I am not content to travel the same paths as 2004. I will not be content to just settle for the status quo of my spiritual quest in 2004, but to continue in drawing closer to the personal God who has carried me safe for all these years, the bumpy ones as well as the smooth ones. I firmly believe with great excitement and anticipation, that the same God who led Moses and Abraham, who inspired Paul and Peter will be walking by my side tomorrow morning as I step outside into 2005. Wow! Ain't that cool??

"In My Life, Lord, Be Glorified Today"

Be God's,
Jimmy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home