"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Lent Day 36 - Wednesday

”Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling, Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He’s waiting and watching, Watching for you and for me.
Come home, come home, You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling, Calling, O sinner, come home!” ~ Hymn    (Will L. Thompson, 1880)

   For some reason, my life seems to stay in various levels of upheaval. Ever since 2005 when I retired from the University, it seems that I’m always changing jobs, adding jobs, leaving jobs, taking care of the emotional needs of the world in general, selling and building a house for my family and hoping I can make enough money to keep a roof over all our heads, dealing with liver disease and diabetes, doing what I must to manage recurring depression and anxiety disorders (and catching grief from intolerant people because I use meditation and yoga for help PLUS some folks still don’t catch on to why I love and support  the Tybee Bar Church and that alcohol is not served for communion), and on top of it all….my therapist of the past 15 years tells me this week that she is closing her practice and I will need to begin with a new Doc. Of course, she will be referring and giving suggestions, but, still…. Basically, I’m a mess. A very happy mess. A God-loving mess. I have a sign over my desk that says “I have gone to find myself. If you see me before I return, then please tell me to wait.” Often when I am driving home from City Hall, I see myself already going the other direction to take care of some detail that I had promised to do.

  Does your life sound anything like this? I don’t have a lot of crises, but it just seems that I am always busy, busy, busy. And I’m tired. Very, very tired. So, what am I doing about it, you might ask? Well, I am taking big steps to de-stress my life and get back to my project of simplifying my journey. I’m taking big steps and making major decisions for someone who doesn’t like change. But, I am finally feeling good about things. I am feeling inner peace with myself and with God. Because, God is the one who has been dropped out of the picture for so long. Yes, I’ve been too busy with life and jobs and church to give God the place He needs in my life….and that is for me to remember that He is in control and is taking care of me, my family and all the circles that I enter during the day. I do not have to worry about tomorrow, because I know He is taking care of it.

The above hymn is another of my favorites. It is one that comforts me when I am stressed and worried. A song that gives me peace when I am in upheaval over circumstances in which I should not be concerned. Words that can sooth my heart and bring calmness to my spirit when I feel lost.

Jesus is softly and tenderly speaking to me….waiting for me….watching for me. No matter how frazzled I can get, Jesus is standing there gently calming me, putting His arms around me….perhaps, giving me a little chuck under the chin, telling me, “I’m here, Jimmy. I’m always here so that you don’t have to get all stressed out and worried. I know your life inside and out because I made you. I know your concerns, your problems, your joys, your illnesses and I am here to help you through them. Just listen to me and let Me help you. I’m not going to scream out your name over all your hubbub, you don’t need more noise…but, I’ll be right here…waiting and watching….softly and tenderly….calling out to you to come home to Me. Just rest in My arms, Jimmy. I love you like no one else can.”

So, folks, as I end up this last week before Holy Week begins, I am coming to a place I need to be. A place where I can begin to focus once again on God and not be consumed with so much “stuff” that has to get done. As it should be.

I pray for all of you who read this and I really, really pray that you have drawn some comfort and encouragement that you aren’t alone in your struggles. And that Jesus is calling your name, too…..softly and tenderly.


And for today my friends, this has been the gospel according to Jimmy. Blessed be the Name of the LORD!

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger CWMartin said...

As I once told a Pastor, the only one who can give you a break is you. Good blessings in doing that.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Jimmy said...

And,my friend, I'm the hardest person on myself than anyone else is. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now....but, alas...still working on it. Thanks for the post and encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home