"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Life Happens

Life happens. We wake up in the morning, gulp down something for breakfast or go through the drive-thru, drive to work fighting traffic and all the stupid drivers, arrive at the office late and irritated just to find that there is a meeting in 20 minutes that you still have to copy, collate, staple and create binders for because ‘somebody’ forgot to tell you the time was changed from the afternoon,grab a quick lunch at your desk or the break room, drive home with the same stupid drivers, fix supper, clean house, laundry, pay bills, head to bed only to not be able to sleep because it is all about to start again. Saturdays are crammed full of yard work, church or county sports and activities, groceries and on and on. Plus in the whole process above are spouses, children, family, phone calls and the whole rest of, well, of life.

Then comes Sunday. Theday of rest. The day when I meet God. The day when I thank Him for my abundant life. The day of praise and worship. Except when the alarm goes off, the last thing I want to do is …… church. I would much prefer to attend either St. Mattress or Bedside Baptist. So many times when I get to the building that houses my church, my mind is still reeling from the week behind (and the week ahead) that I couldn’t hear God if He were standing on my shoulder with a megaphone in my ear.

“Be still and know that I am God.”

“What,” I say?

“Be still….and know….that I am God.”

This past Sunday ourchurch engaged in the act of Holy Communion. I do not use the term, Lord’s Supper, as many do just because the personal nature of the service is one of communion with God. Lord's Supper seems kinda flippant and not as, well, Holy, as I need for it to be. And that’s important. Communion. Holy Communion. Letting God talk to you. Love you. Comfort you. Calm you. Quiet the buzzing in your head.

This week's Holy Communion was a special time for me. I guess God needed to do some work with me because when we entered that period of our service, and the music was playing, I began to feel God’s presence over in my little corner of the sanctuary. There wasn’t any earth shattering revelation coming to me; just the fact that I needed to….

“Be still and know that I am God.”

That includes a daily quiet time. Not just a couple hours on Sunday. That includes a constant state of “Being God’s.” Not just a couple hours on Sunday. That includes being in communion with my heavenly Father all the time; listening, talking and fellowshipping. Being still.

Is this easy? Nope.It’s hard as can be because we live in and are a part of a very distracting world, but we are to be set apart and follow God’s leading for our lives. All the time. And the only way to do that is to….

“Be still….”

And for today my friends, this has been the gospel according to Jimmy.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Jimmy, your witty style of writing reminds me of my Son-in-Law, who is also a minister, as well as my husband. Blogging is a great outreach for Christ, and I'm glad you are using that venue. Have you visited http://www.johnmcternan.name ? John is a minister and author.
Blessings, Trisha at:
Apron Strings and Favorite Things

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Realizar calculo de rendimiento de una inversion said...

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home