"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lent - Day 10 Friday March 18

“The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him.” (Psalms 24:1)

Nothing like getting a little dirt under your fingernails to make you feel better. These past few days have been absolutely perfect weather outside, but I’ve been stuck inside looking out from my job. It’s been a pain to hear people coming in and talking about how gorgeous it was outside and how sad they were for us that we were inside. Thanks. We need to hear that every ten minutes. But, today is my day off and after breakfast and coffee; I took a stroll in the back yard to see what was happening.

The Hosta plants are coming up, Cherokee and Confederate roses are greening up, all the irises are up, shamrocks are peeping through the pine straw, and on and on. However, the wild onions, thorny things, and other odd weeds are also growing as fast as anything. I stooped down to pull some of them up and since you can’t stop with just one, I kept pulling and yanking until a whole section was gone. Then, feeling rather garden-smug, I dragged some pots and soil from underneath the deck and planted some Spring Viola plants (of the pansy family) for the front walk. Coming in, I realized I felt good. That dirt smell kinda mixed with the good sweat smell. Dirt under the fingernails (at least those I have chewed down to the knuckle). It was good. The smell of new life. Rebirth. Nature. Creation. New Beginnings.

That’s part of what the Lent season is meant to be. A season where we closely examine the ‘dirt’ of our lives and begin to nurture a renewal. To bring forth new growth. To dig out the weeds and thorns that have grown up, almost without us realizing it, and leave plenty of room for God’s love to fertilize and bring our new lives into full bloom. With His colors.

The earth belongs to God and everything that lives here. Not only the roses, lantana and butterfly bushes; but, you and me. All things belong to Him. He is our gardener and cultivator. During this season, God is doing some pruning and weeding out in my life, and He may be doing so in yours. It’s not always the most enjoyable thing, but I do know that the final product will be a strong, healthy and beautiful plant called Jimmy (insert your name). Stay strong today, look for God’s work in your life and thank Him for creating such a lovely garden….plants and people alike.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home