"Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." - St. Francis of Assisi

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Jimmy and the Sock-hat Girl


Do you remember the scene in “On Golden Pond” when Norman got lost in the woods and couldn’t find the way home? Or, the scene in “Blair Witch Project” when the sock-hat girl was hugging the tree and crying about how scared she was? Norman was lost and afraid in the middle of a sunny day and sock-hat girl was lost and afraid in the dark of night. Norman could see what was around him; he just didn’t know which direction to go. Sock-hat girl could not see anything around her and didn’t have a clue where to go. I became these people last weekend.

A group of friends and I rented a couple houses up in the north Georgia mountains last weekend and went up for a few days of just relaxing, eating, and to just have a kick back weekend and escape the stress of everyday living. The first night there, I left one house to walk back to the house where I was staying about 11:00pm and told the others, “Nah, I’ll just walk. All I have to do is go down this driveway to the road, take a left and the other house is just in the cul-de-sac.” So, off I go in the pitch-black darkness of the north Georgia mountains with no flashlight because I knew the way to go. It was an easy shot. Or, it was easy until I wandered off the driveway into the woods and after a minute had no idea where I was. Stumbling over logs and other mysterious objects on the ground (thinking they were surely human remains), running into branches and other alien plant and tree appendages, I finally realized I was heading quickly downhill toward the river. I grabbed the closest tree and hugged it for dear life (hence my familiarity with sock-hat girl) just as my cell phone rang. It was the rest of my house guys wondering where I was with the key. My macho, prideful self disappeared and I became the true-life combination of Norman Thayer and sock-hat girl.

“I don’t know where I am,” I croaked, “I lost the road and am off in the woods heading downhill toward the river.” Choking back all my manhood, I managed to squeak out a pleading “please come find me.” Now, it is simply embarrassing; then it was life and death because all manner of serial killers and movie creatures were beginning to emerge from the darkness. After a couple short minutes, I saw some flashlights and heard my name being called and was back in my house with a warm beverage, rice krispy treats and trying to convince the other guys that I was really not all that scared.

Do you ever feel totally lost and afraid in situations of life? A job loss, a serious illness in your family, divorce or separation or any time when you were at a loss as to which direction to turn to get back to your place of comfort and safety. In Isaiah 43:2-3, the prophet tells us “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers you will not drown. When you walk through the fires of life, you will not be scorched and the flames will not consume you for I am the Lord your God.”

My friends helped me out of a temporary scary place, but God can bring you through the rough and tough times of life if you only trust Him and follow His leading.

And for today my friends, this has been the gospel according to Jimmy.

6 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Hillary said...

Thank you, Jimmy, for that encouragement. I know just the person I need to pass that verse along to.

It's good to see you back to blogging. I've missed reading your posts. :)

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Jimmy said...

Good to hear from you again, Hillary. I also appreciate your kind words. It's nice to get back to more regular blogging. I just finished up my book, Being God's, this past week and it has gone to the publisher. So, I finally have some more time to surf and post.

Thanks for coming by,
Jimmy

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In honor of getting/being lost that particular weekend, the sunday school class is in the midst of compiling a small phone number list. The working title of this project is "The Damian List"--which is in reference to my own inability to find my way to the cabin. Mapquest failed me miserably, but luckily, a series of volleyed cell phone calls got me rescued. I was singing "Amazing Grace" inside my helmet when the Salem van was in sight. Good times.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Hope you're doing well. Nice to see you posting. Don't be a stranger:-)

Blessings,
V.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger shannon said...

You're funny, Jimmy. :) And as always, great spiritual insight.

So glad the book is done! When will you hold that first copy?

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy, I can't tell if you still blog here since the last post was a while back. You probably don't remember me, but we both know Joe B. and he mentioned you today so I thought I'd stop by and say hello.

I'd like to read your book! Congrats on writing one, that's a dream of mine.

Anyhow, take care and God Bless You!
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home